Monday, April 14, 2014

Research update

A week has passed since I wrapped up the introductory portion of my research and moved on to create my survey. Since the first day, I have given it out to 40 people but I'm planning to have it completed by 20-30 more individuals. Since I made it an anonymous survey, I can't really distinguish which gender, age or social class had the most successful results. Up until now, 33 out of 40 people personally know someone with a mental illness whether it be mild or severe. Around 12 out of the 40 have taken some time to reach out to this person and try to understand and learn more about the disease. I was absolutely shocked to see that such a low percentage of people care about others with these issues and that they're giving this field such a negative stigma. There were 8 out of 40 that admitted they have talked about the way mental illness is being treated in society with their families or friends. Finally, a whopping 2 out of the 40 know and are aware of how to treat mentally ill people and of the resources they can call in any given situation.
The majority of this survey has shown that people know absolutely nothing about mental illnesses. I wrote a tip at the bottom of the page telling everyone that mental diseases are increasing dramatically because of the condition of our society. I hope they all change their views and appreciate that these issues can be solved with a little more help, open mindedness and appreciation.

No comments:

Post a Comment